HGV Driver Training - Practical Training Courses
At Hingley Training services we have a large range of courses to suite all types of drivers. Our practical Training is tailored to the candidates requirements. Courses can vary in hours and days, so that you get the most out of your experience. With our history and large set up in transport, we can offer courses at the most competitive prices.
CATEGORY C – CLASS 2
If you took your car test after January 1997 and would like to drive an LGV over 3,500kg then this is the licence you require.
You may recognise this smaller truck type making local deliveries or this truck size can also be a horsebox. This category of truck is also known as Rigid or Class 2. These terms mean the same thing.
CATEGORY C+E – CLASS 1
To obtain this licence you must already have a Category C licence.
Once you have this category you can then drive a full articulated vehicle with detachable trailer or a draw bar. This type of truck is the largest vehicle you can drive in the HGV industry.
Start to finish instructions to obtain your Licences ...
1. Application Pack Obtain the required application pack D2 & D4.
2. Medical Get your doctor to carry out the required Medical completing the D2 form. You complete the D4 provisional Cat C application form. You send both the D2 & D4 along with both parts of your existing licence to DVLA Swansea. There is NO FEE to pay and 10-15 working days later you should receive your new provisional licence which covers you for HGV / LGV driver training and lorry driver training. Medical cost can vary between £50.00 to £100.00.
Study for the theory test, we can supply the training books and discs for a small fee (optional).
4. Theory Test Pass the required theory test. The test is now a two part test and can be sat one after the other.
Part 1 - 100 multiple choice questions (you must get 85 correct from the possible 100) @ £35.00 Part 2 - Hazard perception 19 film clips from which you must correctly indicate developing hazards. In this part of the test you must achieve a score of 67 out of the available 100. @ £15.00
5. Requirements (Module 2)
* If you require to drive for hire and reward then you will need to pass a module 2 exam at the theory test centre. @ £30.00
6. Category C (Class 2) Driver Training Having passed the theory/hazard perception tests you can now undertake the practical Category C (Class 2) driver training.
Train to the DSA test standard and take the test.
On passing the test: you are licensed to drive any rigid lorry above 7.5t towing a trailer no heavier than 750kg.
7. Requirements (Module 4) * If you require to drive for hire and reward then you will need to pass a module 4 exam at the practical test centre.
8. Category C+E (Class 1) Driver Training Finally you can now undertake the practical Category C+E (Class 1) driver training. Train to the DSA test standard and take the test.
You will now have a full HGV licence.
Candidates will require a current driving licence with class C or C+E provisional entitlements and a theory test & hazard perception certificate, in order to undertake lorry driver training. The minimum age for a candidate to go for these licences is currently 18 years of age.