HGV Driver Training Birmingham - Practical Training Courses
HGV Training Birmingham at Hingley Training services provides a large range of high-quality courses to suit all types of drivers in Birmingham and the West Midlands.
Our HGV training in Birmingham is tailored to the candidate's requirements.
Courses can vary in hours and days, periodic training is available so that you get the most out of your experience. With our history and large set up in transport, we can offer courses at the most competitive prices.
CATEGORY C – CLASS 2
If you took your car test after January 1997 and would like to drive an LGV over 3,500kg then this is the license you require.
You may recognise this smaller truck type making local deliveries or this truck size can also be a horsebox. This category of the truck is also known as Rigid or Class 2. These terms mean the same thing.
CATEGORY C+E – CLASS 1
To obtain this license you must already have a Category C license.
Once you have this category you can then drive a full articulated vehicle with a detachable trailer or a drawbar. This type of truck is the largest vehicle you can drive in the HGV industry.
Step by step guide on how to become an HGV Driver
1. Application Pack Obtain the required application pack D2 & D4.
2. Medical Get your doctor to carry out the required Medical completing the D2 form. You complete the D4 provisional Cat C application form. You send both the D2 & D4 along with both parts of your existing license to DVLA Swansea.
There is NO FEE to pay and 10-15 working days later you should receive your new provisional license which covers you for HGV training, LGV driver training, and lorry driver training. The medical cost can vary between £50.00 to £100.00.
Study for the theory test, we can supply the training books and discs for a small fee (optional).
4. Theory Test Pass the required theory test. The test is now a two-part test and can be sat one after the other.
Part 1 - 100 multiple-choice questions (you must get 85 correct from the possible 100) @ £35.00 Part 2 - Hazard perception 19 film clips from which you must correctly indicate developing hazards.
In this part of the test, you must achieve a score of 67 out of the available 100. @ £15.00
5. Requirements (Module 2)
* If you require to drive for hire and reward then you will need to pass a module 2 exam at the theory test centre. @ £30.00
6. Category C (Class 2) Driver Training Having passed the theory/hazard perception tests you can now undertake the practical Category C (Class 2) driver training programme.
Train to the DSA test standard and take the test.
On passing the test: you are licensed to drive any rigid lorry above 7.5t towing a trailer no heavier than 750kg.
7. Requirements (Module 4) * If you require to drive for hire and reward then you will need to pass a module 4 exam at the practical test training centres.
8. Category C+E (Class 1) Driver Training Finally you can now undertake the practical Category C+E (Class 1) driver training. Train to the DSA test standard and take the test.
You will now have a full HGV license.
Candidates will require a current driving license with class C or C+E provisional entitlements and a theory test & hazard perception certificate, in order to undertake lorry driver training. The minimum age for a candidate to go for these licenses is currently 18 years of age.
Here at Hingley Training Services Ltd., we provide HGV training to drivers and businesses throughout the West Midlands, including Cannock, Wolverhampton, Dudley and Birmingham.